Wally Gallio was today awarded an AFL Merit Award. The AFL Merit Awards are a long standing initiative to recognise outstanding service to Australian Football.
Throughout his time working for the AFL, Gallio has many fond memories to share. Some of his best ones are:
- Thunder 2011 and 2015 premierships
- National Academy Tour of Europe in 2014
- Becoming a life member in 2000
- The Northern Territory winning the Under 16 National Championships in 1999
- The Northern Territory winning the Under 18 National Championships in 2012
The award was presented to him by AFLNT CEO Michael Solomon at a special staff morning tea at the Michael Long Learning & Leadership Centre. Gallio said he was "very humbled and thankful to all the great people he had worked with in football over the years".
To be nominated for this award the person must have a minimum of 10 years service within the AFLNT – volunteer or paid.
AFL Merit Award winners receive:
- An AFL Merit Award Certificate personally signed by the AFL Chief Executive Officer and the Chairman of the AFL Commission
- Added to the AFL honour board of less than 600 Merit Award winners dating back to 1931.