Round 10 Men's Premier League wrap

Raph Clark and Mark Jamar compete for the ruck

Game 1

Tiwi Bombers 6.1 9.4 10.7 11.12 (78)
Darwin Buffaloes 2.5 5.9 9.12 17.18 (120)


Tiwi Bombers: Ross Tungatalum 3, Jake Best 2, Adam Tipungwuti 2, Austin Wonaeamirri 2, Patrick Heenan, Dion Munkara

Darwin Buffaloes: Darren Shillabeer 8, Malcolm Rosas 2, Jalen Clark, Tai Martin-Page, Lee Mununggurr, Ryan O’Sullivan

Game 2

Southern Districts 1.4 5.5 7.5 11.7 (73)
St Mary’s 1.1 1.4 4.9 8.10 (58)


Southern Districts: Will Farrer 6, Leroy Jetta 2, Pierce Liddle, Jake Roe-Duggan, Nikolaus Rokahr

St Mary’s: Peter MacFarlane 4, Raphael Clarke, Nathaniel Paredes, Ben Rioli, Ryan Smith


After taking nine minutes for the first goal to be kicked, the score at quarter time was Southern Districts 1.4.10 leading St Mary’s 1.1.7 at TIO Stadium. It was a low scoring quarter and Peter MacFarlane was the first to kick truly for the Saints followed by Dylan Barry for the Crocs. By half time, Crocs 5.5.35 led 1.4.10. They kicked four goals holding the Saints to just three points. Willie Farrer started to come into the game for the Crocs in the forward line, while Raph Clarke was trying hard to steady his green and gold troops. The third quarter had more intensity by both teams with the Crocs still leading 7.5.47 - 4.9.33. There were some high-flying attempts at marking all day but it was the Crocs’ Leroy Jetta who took the honour with his hanger over Iggy Vallejo in the goal square at the 18-minute mark followed by a play-on goal. MacFarlane kicked a goal after the siren to bring the Saints within 14 points of the Crocs at the final break. By the time the final siren went, the Crocs 11.7.73 defeated St Mary’s 8.10.58. Farrer finished with six goals for the Crocs, while MacFarlane kicked four for the Saints taking his tally to 21 goals in the last four weeks.

Game 3

Waratah 2.2 3.5 6.6 9.9 (63)
Palmerston 3.0 5.1 8.1 10.3 (63)


Waratah: Jason Cooke 5, Lachlan Collihole 2, Matthew Blake, Adam Lyons

Palmerston: Desmond Ugle 3, Ezekiel Frank 2, Jordan Erskine 2, Alwyn Davey, Sam Talbot


Waratah started the match strongly by kicking the first two goals in the opening minutes of the match. They looked set to continue their strong form from the previous couple of weeks, however, Palmerston had other ideas and kicked back to gain the lead at quarter time. Palmerston were more accurate in front of goal throughout the day and led for most of the match despite less scoring opportunities. The game was even for most of the match, but Palmerston had a minor lead throughout. Palmerston looked set to have the ascendency going into the last quarter with a 14-point lead, however, a goal on the siren by Lachlan Collihole reduced the margin to eight points and kept the Tahs firmly in the frame to take the win. A 13-point lead in the last quarter at the 16-minute mark wasn’t enough to secure the win for the Magpies as Waratah levelled the margin. The ball sat inside the Tahs’ forward line in the dying moment, but they were unable to score and at the final siren, the two sides couldn’t be separated in what was the first draw of the season.

Game 4

Nightcliff 5.0 10.2 14.4 21.11 (137)
Wanderers 2.2 2.5 2.8 3.8 (26)


Nightcliff: Matthew Bricknell 3, Patrick White 3, Brodie Filo 2, Liam Holt-Fitz 2, Cameron Ilett 2, Julian Lockwood 2, Zackary Derksen, Farron James, Kayle Kossack, Paul Scanlon, Harry Williams, Shaun Wilson

Wanderers: Kye Chapple 2, Matthew Motlop


After trailing by 43 and 45 points at quarter time in the preceding two weeks, Wanderers started the match off to a flyer, kicking the opening two goals of the match. It was all Nightcliff from then on though, as they kicked 21 unanswered goals. The usual suspects were in all the action for the Tigers as Brodie Filo was influential in the midfield, while Cameron Ilett was his industrious self in both the midfield and forward line. Although there was little to celebrate for the Muk Muks, Thomas Motlop’s game across half-back was a shining light and his intercept marks and possessions reduced what could have been an even bigger blow out than the ultimate 111-point loss. It was Phillip Wills’ first Premier League match for the season and first since crossing over from the Darwin Buffaloes in the off-season. He played limited game time in his first senior match back from injury and is expected to play full match time by the end of January.


Competition news