- High profile coaching role
- Values-driven culture
- Fantastic team benefits
Our goal here at the AFL is to enhance and grow the game across all states and all levels – from grassroots to elite. As one team, we put on the game, build participation, deliver important events, communicate with our fans, run community programs, develop coaches and umpires, and collaborate with partners, delight members, support clubs and so much more. Our roles may vary but we are all united by our common goal, to leave the game in an even more extraordinary place.
About the role
The Northern Territory Football Club (NTFC) was established in 2009 to utilise the power of Australian Football in tackling anti-social behaviour, deliver educational outcomes and provide employment opportunities for Territorians. NT Thunder recognises that Australian Football is the language that breaks all barriers across the NT, and through a diverse and unique set of core objectives the Club has cemented its place as a high profile, successful sporting organisation that provides opportunities, penetrates cultural differences and adds significant value to the local community.
The Club began in the 2009 season as part of the QAFL competition before joining the NEAFL. In 2018 NT Thunder entered the VFL Women's competition to complete both pathways for male and female players in the Northern Territory.
The primary objectives for the NTFC are to:
- Become the highest profile State League Australian Football team in order to generate greater interest, participation and support for Australian Football within the Northern Territory
- Assist in inspiring young indigenous people to participate in sport in order to contribute to improved education, employment, training, health and wellbeing in indigenous communities
- Create a structured, quality football training and development program that enhances the career path to the AFL which will increase the number of Northern Territory players in the AFL
This role is responsible for the coaching and management of players in the NEAFL team to ensure consistent performances, and will work with service professionals to develop a semi-professional environment for all to improve.
Please note employment in this position is subject to a satisfactory criminal history record check. The successful candidate is required to possess a valid ‘working with children’ ochre card.
The AFL has extensive procedures and checks in place to protect children and young people in our organisation.
A day in the life of
Talent Identification & Squad Development
Identify players throughout the Northern Territory and through other AFL competitions with the talent, commitment and desire to be part of NT Thunder.
Training & Development Programs
Utilising all available resources develop a training and development program that focuses on:
- personal technical ability, skills
- game sense / teamwork
- utilisation of IT and sports analysis software
- physical and mental fitness
Build a strong team of coaches and support staff and creates a positive, enjoyable environment for the players, coaches and support staff from a diverse set of backgrounds.
Match Day Preparation
- Develop effective game day strategies to ensure competitive team results and an ability to win games of football and ultimately finals football.
- Develop an effective training program to ensure maximum performance of the team.
Develop positive relationships with all key stakeholders including NT Media, AFLNT board & staff, NTFL and CAFL clubs, Club sponsors and members.
Reports and Reviews
- Participate and contribute in reviews on the football program as requested. Prepare and provide season review and mid-season review annually. Collaborate with Manager of NT Thunder and Talent & Pathways Manager to deliver Player Management Plans (PMP) by October 1st each year.
- Provide individual player reviews post game, mid and post season.
- Liaise with regional stakeholders to ensure reports on talented players are received on a regular basis.
- Provide the Manager of NT Thunder with reports as requested.
- Undertake a development role in the education & continued development of Australian Football coaches throughout the NT in partnership with AFLNT staff.
- Seek to improve your overall coaching knowledge & strategies by attending coaching education courses & seminars as requested.
- Develop a succession plan for coaching of the Northern Territory Football club thru the Futures Coaching Academy.
Our ideal team member
- AFL Accreditation Level Two or AFL High Performance Coach, or willing to work towards accreditation
- Sound knowledge of the NEAFL, NTFL and AFLNT affiliated competition structures, AFL talented player pathway program - including the drafting process - along with strong football networks both within the NT and Australia wide, would be a strong advantage
- Strong National AFL and football networks
- Highly organised team player with a proven capacity to build solid, productive relationships in a sports coaching environment
- An ability to develop a periodised season plan and implement
- Proven track record of coaching at State League level or similar
- Ability to build a competitive senior playing list and develop the individual
- Well-developed administration, written and verbal communication, computer and time management skills
Satisfactory Working with Children check (Ochre Card)
- A capacity to lead, influence and educate individuals to achieve positive life, career and educational outcomes
- Knowledge and competency with Hudl, Sportscode Programs and Champion Data
- We believe in a Healthy Mind, Healthy Body and Healthy Workplace and our staff have access to an extensive Health and Wellbeing program.
- My Development – all employees have access to the AFL’s My Development program which consists of on the job training, coaching and mentoring and formal learning.
- AFL Staff Footy Memberships – easy access to the game, staff can share these with family and friends.
- My Benefits – staff have access to over 350 discounts with some of the biggest retailers and the AFL’s corporate partners.
How to Apply
Contact Brad Reid, People Business Partner: email@example.com
Closing Date: Friday, 9 November 2018