Premier League wrap - Round 5


Game 1

Waratah 3.2 7.3 8.6 9.8 (62)
St Mary’s 4.5 6.7 8.10 12.13 (85)


Waratah: Lachlan Collihole 2, Matthew Blake 2, Raven Jolliffe, Justin Beugelaar, Jamie Smith, Sam Godden, Laine Fitzgerald

St Mary’s: Brayden Rioli 3, Nathaniel Paredes 2, Benjamin Taylor 2, Steven Lampton, Mathias Liddy, Ryan McMurray, Shannon Rioli, Anthony Wilson


It was a close game, with only two points in it at three-quarter time but St Mary’s were too strong in the end storming home to a 23-point win in the end.

It was Tahs Justin Beugelaar who opened the scoring for the day launching a long bomb from the scoreboard boundary line but then Saints got back with three quick goals to Brayden Rioli, Mathias Liddy and Anthony Wilson. Tahs Laine Fitzgerald and Matthew Blake kicked truly to reduce the margin but Saints still have the upper hand. Ryan Smith is winning an entertaining ruck duel with American big man Alexander Arurrichio who was pinned for held ball by much smaller Saints youngster Simon Richardson late in the quarter much to the crowds delight. 

The Tahs came out firing after the first break with goals to Jamie Smith, Matthew Blake, Raven Joliffe and Sam Godden. Benjamin Taylor got Saints on the scoreboard after he received a 50 metre penalty and was taken to the top of the goal square for his kick. Ryan McMurray then scored a major to draw Saints back within 3 points at the main break. Both teams were working hard and entertaining the crowd at Gardens Oval.  

The lead changed once again with the Saints in front at the final break. Goals to Brayden Rioli and Steven Lampton put the Saints in front while Tylah Saunders and Mathias Liddy both had set shots to put the Saints well in front but missed. Lochie Collihole kicked an important lone goal for Tahs and the sky was getting dark with thunder lurking around so the last quarter could be determined if the rain came down.
The Saints were too good in the last quarter with goals to Shannon Rioli, Nate Paredes, Benjamin Taylor and Brayden Rioli who finished with three for the day. Lochie Collihole kicked Tahs only major of the last quarter but it's the Saints who caused possibly the upset of the round.

Game 2

Southern Districts 7.2 12.5 14.9 18.15 (123)
Wanderers 1.1 2.3 4.8 5.12 (42)


Southern Districts: Shane Thorne 4, Bradley Vallance 3, Lee Dale, Jess Koopman, Charles McAdam, Michael Mummery, Brodie Lake, Dean Staunton, Richard Tambling, Harrison Wheeler, Izaak Wyatt
Wanderers: Joel Cubillo, Keelan Fejo, Joel Jeffrey, Tyrrell Lui, Gibson Turner

For their fifth consecutive win of the season, Southern Districts defeated Wanderers with ease on home turf.
The blanket cloud-cover and light breeze made playing conditions at Norbuilt Oval quite pleasant and in a fast-paced opening term, there wasn't a pocket of the ground that the ball did not reach. Wanderers were first on the board thanks to the efforts of Joel Cubillo. Before the Crocs piled on seven unanswered goals, sharing the ball amongst Lee Dale, Jess Koopman, Michael Mummery, Dean Staunton, Shane Thorne and Bradley Vallance (2). 
The Crocs, Jess Koopman kicked the first goal of the second quarter before Tyrell Lui responded with a major for the Muk Muks. Shane Thorne's second Crocs goal for the game came a brilliant running toe-poke goal from recently selected Allies player, Joel Jefferey to keep the Wanderers hopes alive.
In the fourth minute of the third quarter, as a result from a free kick, Izaak Wyatt scored a goal for the Crocs. David Kruse assisted to get the ball back into the Muk Muks 50 with his speed on display. Gibson Turner was able to capitalise on this opportunity and slotted a major from the set shot and just as the clock was ticking over to red time Jess Koopman booted his third goal of the game.
The Crocs ran away with it the end, stacking on another four goals during the final term from former AFL player, Richard Tambling, Michael Mummery, Shane Thorn and Brodie Lake - his first goal in Men’s Premier League. This isn't to say that the Muk Muks were totally keep out of it in the fourth quarter with Keelan Fejo kicking one for Wanderers.

Game 3

Nightcliff 5.3 10.7 11.12 15.18 (108)
Darwin Buffaloes 3.4 3.6 6.8 8.10 (58)


Nightcliff: Trent Melville 6, Brodie Filo 2, Daniel Bowles, Simon Deery, Liam Holt-Fitz, Cameron Ilett, Jonathon Miles, Blake Penny, Phillip Wills 

Darwin Buffaloes: Jalen Clarke 2, Ishmael Palmer 2, Joe Anderson, Adam Sambono, Lindsay Thomas, Christopher Williams


It was billed as the game of the round when Nightcliff hosted the Darwin Buffaloes for the Tye Bonson Memorial Shield. And it started with a bang, with both teams having good amounts of the ball.

Nightcliff opened with the first two goals of the game but smart defensive work from Joe Anderson saw the Buffs rebound several more of the Tigers' forward thrusts. Trent Melville finished the first quarter with two for the home team, while Ishmael Palmer kicked two goals for the Buffs.

After five minutes of frantic play by both sides to open the second quarter, Trent Melville was the first to get the goals ticking over again. And after starting in defence, former Buffs captain Phillip Wills found himself up the ground and took a great mark 45m out on a slight angle and slotted it through. Some back and forward play ensued before last season’s Nichols Medallist Cam Ilett was left unattended in the goal square and easily kicked his second for the game and Nightcliff's third in-a-row. The Tigers had quickly skipped out to a 31-point lead, built off the back of some great Brodie Filo work in the centre, while Chris Moreland was dynamic for the Buffs at the stoppages. While Darwin went without a major in the quarter, Simon Deery added his name to the goal sheet and Melville kicked his fourth from a set shot just inside the 50 just after the half time siren.

The Buffs opened the scoring in the third quarter with a much-needed goal before 10 minutes of to and fro play saw neither team register a major. Lindsay Thomas who had been serviceable for the Buffs all game kicked a hard goal from a tight angle just inside the boundary before Jalen Clarke capitalised on a Nightcliff error to bring the margin back to 25-points. A telling contest at about the 15-minute mark saw Joe Anderson lay a big tackle on Cam Ilett at the top of Nightcliff's 50, he won the free kick and the Buffs went forward once more. But just as they were starting to charge, Danny Butcher lifted for the Tigers through the middle of the ground and Trent Melville was able to score his fifth goal for the game to ease just a little bit of the pressure on Nightcliff, who went into the final break 30 points in front.

When the Buffs had the opening two goals in the first five minutes of the final quarter, first through Steven Anderson and then Jalen Clarke, they started to build momentum. And when Lindsay Thomas being paid a free kick for a high grab, it could've been the first three goals, but his shot on goal went begging. Just as a juicy finish looked possible it became apparent that the Buffs had minimal rotations in the works, with no fit players left on the bench. Nightcliff started to pepper the goals before Liam Holt-Fitz had a snap from the pocket that went through. Daniel Bowles followed-up less than a minute later and Trent Melville popped up for his sixth goal as the Tigers pushed on for their fourth win of the season, with Shaun Wilson receiving the Tye Bonson Medal for Nightcliff, and David Paull picking up the one for the Buffaloes. 

Game 4

Palmerston 5.2 9.6 14.7 18.12 (120)
Tiwi Bombers 2.3 5.4 8.8 11.9 (75)


Palmerston Magpies: Kyle Emery 7, Jacon Lampton 2, Mitch Bunworth 2, Sandy Brock, Broderick Church, Alwyn Davey, Nathan Deans, Matthew Dennis, Sammual Miller, James Rhodes 

Tiwi Bombers: Simon Munkara 4, Tavis Tambling 3, Dion Munkara 2, Austin Wonaeamirri, Adam Tipungwuti


The Tiwi Bombers travelled to Palmerston in search of their first win for the season and in typical fashion, they came out of the gates exceptionally quickly kicking two goals through Travis Tambling. 

Palmerston adjusted quickly through and was able to nullify Tiwi's game plan and the Bombers couldn't get their run and carry going. The Magpies went into overdrive kicking five consecutive goals through Kyle Emery (2), Alwyn Davey, James Rhodes and Nathan Dean to close out the first quarter. 

Much like the first term, the Bombers started the quarter very quickly, kicking the first two goals in the first few minutes through Gerrard Cunningham and Simon Munkara. But as their forwards stood up, their defenders seemed a little leaky, which led to quick goals to Palmerston, including another two to Kyle Emery. Mitch Bunworth also kicked two goals for Palmerston in the second quarter before Simon Munkara broke Palmerston's four goal streak by kicking his second goal for the half with only a few seconds before the buzzer, closing the margin to 26 points.

Early in the second half it became obvious it was a game of momentum. Palmerston started the third with the first three goals through Broderick Church (2) and Kyle Emery. And as the ball moved up and down the ground both teams were holding on in the last line of defence with goals drying up. Dion Munkara then kicked the first for Tiwi in the quarter, with Broderick Church getting a quick one back and kicking three goals in total for the quarter. Dion Munkara went on to kick the next two, to also kick three goals for the quarter but it was tireless ruckman, Matt Dennis who kicked a goal after the siren that put Palmerston well in control.

Despite it being difficult for the Bombers to get back into the match, it was still a very hot contest in the final quarter. Sandy Brock and Jacon Lampton kicked one each for Palmerston, while Kyle Emery kicked two which took his total to seven goals for the match. Simon Munkara (2) and Austin Wonaeamirri kicked truly for Tiwi but it wasn’t to be the Bombers’ breakthrough they’d hoped for, as Palmerston won their second game for the season and at home again.

Competition news