Premier League wrap - Round 6


Game 1

Tiwi Bomber 2.2 8.4 10.5 14.10 (94)
St Mary’s 1.6 6.10 9.13 10.13 (73)


Tiwi Bombers: Gerrard Cunningham 3, Kim Kanitilla 2, Simon Munkara 2, Pio Puautjimi 2, Michael Cooper, Kyle Darcy, William Huddleston, Austin Wonaeamirris

St Mary’s: Braxton Ah Mat 2, Nathaniel Paredes 2, Matthew Wilkinson 2, Jimmy McMurtrie, Ryan McMurray, Steven Lampton, Brayden Rioli


On a day that will be remembered as the time the AFL Premiership Cup was taken to the Tiwi Islands for the first time, another first occurred with the Tiwi Bombers winning their first game for the 2018/19 TIO NTFL season. 

The Bombers opened the game in impressive style kicking the first two goals before the Saints got one back. The Saints were wayward with their kicking scoring six behinds and the score could have been quite different. Youngster Jeffrey Simon was good in the middle for the Bombers while Ben Rioli and Jack Long have provided plenty of rebound out of defence at crucial times for the Saints.

The second quarter was entertaining with the Bombers holding a one goal lead at the main break. Nate Paredes was dominant for the Saints in that quarter kicking a goal and taking some hard hits while Paddy Heenan worked hard for the Bombers. Saints lost Raph Clarke after teammate Brayden Rioli tried to take a hanger on him in a marking contest and he suffered a slight concussion so he is out for the game.

A massive crowd lined the fence at Tiwi Oval and everyone was waiting for West Coast Eagles stars Willie Rioli, Liam Ryan and Adam Simpson to do a lap of honour with the 2018  AFL Premiership Cup at half time.  The moment came as they cruised around the oval on the back of a white ute waving to the crowd, giving out high fives, getting photos with fans and family and doing media interviews. The smile on Willie Rioli’s face spoke volumes as he was proud to bring the cup home to his Tiwi people.

The third quarter began and it was goal for goal, touch for touch.  Despite kicking more goals than their opposition it's the Bombers trailing. Tall ruckman Liam Buxton has been dominant for the Bombers while Simon Munkara provided great support along with Pio Puautjimi. Saints by 2 points at the final break.

The Bombers kicked away in the final quarter to record their first win of the 2018/19 TIO NTFL Season in front of a very happy Tiwi crowd. The Bombers held Saints to one goal in the final quarter to record a 21-point win. Best for Tiwi was fly in ruckman Liam Buxton while the backline led by Jason Puruntatameri held strong. Shaun Edwards and Nate Paredes tried hard for Saints all day but couldn’t get their young team over the line.

Game 2

Wanderers 2.3 3.5 4.7 6.8 (44)
Palmerston 2.2 3.9 6.11 8.15 (63)

Wanderers: Keelan Fejo 2, Nook Mansell 2, Joel Jeffrey, Thomas Motlop

Palmerston: Kyle Emery 3, Mitch Bunworth, Adam Diamond, Alwyn Davey, Jacon Lampton, Samuel Talbot


It may have been a scrappy first half for Palmerston, but the coach’s message was to ‘play your role’ and the Magpies used this to turn things around in the second half for their second consecutive win. 

In very hot conditions at TIO Stadium, it was a free flowing opening quarter with both teams getting plenty of the ball. However, both teams struggled to get a significant chain going which led to limited scoring opportunities for both sides. Former North Melbourne and Adelaide player, Sam Gibson, was playing his first match for Wanderers while Aaron Davey came back for his second game of the season for the Magpies. Keelan Fejo and Joel Jeffrey kicked one each for the Muk Muks, while Sam Talbot and Peter Nash scored one goal each for the Magpies.

Palmerston squandered early opportunities at goal in the second quarter, kicking four behinds before their first goal and should’ve been further in front. Both sides struggled to get significant chains of play which led to plenty of turnovers and both sides of supporters letting their frustrations be known. Thomas Motlop and Kyle Emery kicked the only goals in the second term for Wanderers and Palmerston respectively.

It was all Palmerston in the third quarter. They managed to get their run going and maintained possession of the ball which meant Wanderers had limited opportunities in front of goal. It took 20 minutes for Wanderers to kick their first goal which kept them in touch in the game. Alwyn Davey, Jacon Lampton and Kyle Emery were the Magpies' goalkickers with Nook Mansell the Muk Muks' sole goalkicker.

It just wasn't Wanderers' day today, despite being down by only 16-points at three quarter time, the Muk Muks just couldn't get any fluid ball movement to make a strong charge in the final term. In addition, Palmerston's defence held very strong taking plenty of intercept marks. The Magpies arguably should have won by more as they missed some very easy shots on goal throughout the whole game but they did enough to get them the four points in the end. Sandy Brock and Kyle Emery were the Magpies' goalkickers in the last quarter. Nook Mansell and Joel Jeffrey were the goalkickers for the Muk Muks.

Game 3

Darwin Buffaloes 3.3 7.5 10.9 12.11 (83)
Waratah 2.0 6.1 7.5 10.10 (70)


Darwin Buffaloes: Adam Sambono 4, Jalen Clarke 2, Jarrod Stokes 2, Shaun Ahmat, Ishmael Palmer, Bradley Mitchell, Ryan O’Sullivan

Waratah: Cameron Barrett 2, Henry Kerinaiua 2, Matthew Blake, Lachlan Collihole, Timothy Mosquito, Jaxon Neagle, Brad Rayson, Samuel Weddell


The Darwin Buffaloes ran out 13 point winners in a tight contest against Waratah on Saturday afternoon, the finish of their key players proving the difference.

The game started at top pace, and Waratah had the first centre clearance but was marked and rebounded quickly by stalwart Buffs defender, Joe Anderson. This lead to some quick movement through the field and Buffs had the first goal, to Jackson Clark. For the next five minutes, the ball stayed in Darwin's half of the ground until some good pressure from Waratah turned things and Cameron Barrett popped up in the forward pocket for the Tahs to mark and goal. That seemed to get things going, and a few minutes later Tim Mosquito was kicking from just inside the 50 and gave his side had a four-point lead. As time went on, former AFL-star Michael Firrito, in his first outing for the Buffs, got more involved in the game, feeding good handballs in defence to Matt Campbell. A tick over 20 minutes and Ishmael Palmer kicked his first goal, before working with Jarrod Stokes to snap one for himself and give the Buffs a small lead at the first break.

The Buffs picked up where they left off, kicking the opening two goals of the second quarter, through Ryan O'Sullivan and Bradley Mitchell. In the ninth minute the Tahs started to win the centre clearances and went on to kick the next three goals, starting with Lachie Collihole before Sam Weddell, and then Henry Kerinaiua. Kerinaiua's effort especially impressive after taking a mark that had the crowd "oohing". As the Tahs started to control the momentum, the Buffs dug their heels in and wrestled it back, the Adam Sambono show starting to fire. He slotted two quick goals, both in trademark fashion - making the impossible seem possible and the margin was back out to 17 points. Some to and fro play ensued with both teams running overtime before Jaxon Neagle kicked one just before the siren to close it back to only 10 points.

Shaun Ahmat had the first major of the third term in the sixth minute, an easy shot while running into goal at pace; it was followed up by a nice set shot just on the 50 from Jackson Clark, which extended the Buffs' lead to 23 points. But just like they had in the previous quarters, the Tahs wouldn't lie down, and through the hard work of Jordan Gardner, Sam Weddell and James Wray across the ground, they gave themselves plenty of opportunities but couldn't quite connect or capitalise in their forward 50. Meanwhile, Adam Sambono and Chris Williams looked dangerous for the Buffs while player-coach Matt Campbell and Joe Anderson were sweeping through defence. Things got exciting when Tim Mosquito started to play a tight role on Sambono but if it wasn't Sambono showing his flair it was Jarrod Stokes, who had his typical burst of speed through a couple of wannabe tacklers and distractions to kick his second goal for the game. Just before the siren sounded Henry Kerinaiua kicked a beautiful shot from on the 50 at a slight angle to give the Tahs a sniff going into the last.

Waratah kicked the opening goal of the final term through Brad Rayson but Adam Sambono who had looked explosive all game added a third goal to his tally and could've had more as he continued to steal the ball. When Matt Blake kicked a goal around his body in the 15th minute, the margin was only 13 points, and Waratah was up and about. Only a minute later, Abe Ankers, who had been well held most of the game, had the opportunity to really make things nervous but his running shot on goal, at a difficult angle sailed right of the main posts. And five minutes later who should seal it for the Buffs, none other than Samobono! Not to take anything away from Cameron Barrett who goaled from outside the 50 after the siren to give the scoreline a more accurate portrayal of the game.

Game 4

Southern Districts 3.2 5.5 6.9 9.10 (64)
Nightcliff 3.4 3.5 6.5 7.5 (47)


Southern Districts: Jess Koopman 2, Michael Mummery 2, William Farrer, Clinton Gallio, Lionel Ogden, Shane Thorne, Dean Staunton

Nightcliff: Mathew Bricknell, Danny Butcher, Brodie Filo, Faron James, Trent Melville, Shaun Wilson, Liam Holt-Fitz 


It was the top-of-the-ladder clash that had the footy-lovers mouths watering and it didn't disappoint!

Shane Thorne got things started with the first goal of the game when his kick in hope over the top into the Crocs' 50 dribbled through. A couple of minutes later Matt Bricknell was able to pick the ball off the dewy deck, wheel around and get Nightcliff's first major on the board. As the two teams worked hard around the ground, opting to use the boundary, Clinton Gallio found himself forward at the right time and kicked a freakish goal. The next two went the way of Nightcliff, first to Faron James and then a defensive blunder for the Crocs had Brodie Filo pouncing on Lionel Ogden before he was able to dispose of the ball from a kick out, and Filo had the Tigers' third goal on the board and a seven-point lead. As the ball got slippery the intensity from both teams lifted and with it, Thorne's premier skills rose to the top as he pinpointed Dean Staunton with a perfect pass to give the Crocs their third goal and tie things up, with the major stats also all square at the first break.

The first 10 minutes of the second quarter was a slog with both teams holding each other's forward presses well. Lionel Ogden was first to break the stalemate when his set shot from 40 metres out on a 45-degree angle sailed through for Districts. With both coaches opting to leave their ball winners on the ground, namely Brodie Filo and Clinton Gallio, and rotate them through the forward line for a rest, it was no surprise the contest remained so tight. Midway through the term, Districts had kicked one goal and three behinds and Nightcliff hadn't gone inside its forward 50, the first change to their score, a point, being registered in the 17th minute. A minute later Jess Koopman kicked the easiest of goals after finding space in the Crocs' goal square and their lead was extended to 14 points as Nightcliff went goalless in the second.

In similar slippery conditions to the second quarter, the first 10 minutes of the third quarter passed without either team scoring a goal but some persistence from Shaun Wilson and a quick flick to Liam Holt-Fitz had the youngster galloping into the goal for the Tigers' first since midway through the opening quarter. And with that goal, came a couple in quick succession. Leading by nine points, Jess Koopman for the Crocs slotted his second goal in high traffic near the goal square. At the next centre bounce, Brodie Filo got the clearance and Danny Butcher added a running goal to his name. A scrap then ensued until the 23rd minute, when only moments before the siren Wilson bagged one for himself. It was probably the most impressive goal of the night, pressed hard up against the boundary, collecting and throwing it on the boot with no time to spare. Going into the final change there was only four point in it, and the game was living up to its promise.

The last quarter started with a leaping Sam Smith winning the first two ruck contests, which led to goals - a quick one to Michael Mummery to start the quarter, and one where the Crocs had to work a bit harder to land one in Will Farrer's hands, allowing the captain to kick his first for the night after slippery conditions had him missing his usual marks earlier in the game. 10 minutes into the term and the Crocs were in control, having 10 inside 50s to Nightcliff's three. Sensing time was slipping away from them, Jonathan Peris hit the Tigers' forward 50 with pace but couldn't quite collect the ball, allowing the Crocs to sweep it out of defence and quickly get it down the field to where Mummery finished with a banana for his second goal of the quarter and game. It wasn't until the 19th minute when a slip in defence saw a well-held Trent Melville collect and kick his first goal for the night and Nightcliff's first for the final quarter, but it was a little too late as the Crocs continued their unbeaten run for the 2018/19 season.

Competition news