Round 16 Premier League wrap

Waratah tackles Darwin player

Game 1

Tiwi Bombers 3.3 8.5 14.7 16.9 (105)
Southern Districts 3.5 7.6 13.6 18.8 (116)


Tiwi Bombers: Simon Munkara 3, Albert Tipungwuti 3, Patrick Heenan 2, Gary Puruntatameri 2, Ross Tungatalum 2, Jack Munkara, Harley Puruntatameri, Adam Tipungwuti, Austin Wonaeamirri

Southern Districts: Will Farrer 3, Leroy Jetta 2, Rory O'Brien 2, Matt Rosier 2, Tim Brook, Callum Currie, Matt Duffy, Charles McAdam, Dylan McLachlan, Lionel Ogden, Mitchell Pemberton, Richard Tambling, Sam Smith


It was a very hot day on the Island with both teams’ rotations high. There were a lot of stoppages as it swung from one end to the other. Southern Districts had a three-point lead heading into quarter time. The second quarter was another very even contest with Tiwi just managing to edge ahead, capatilising on their scoring shots. Simon Munkara kicked three for the Bombers in the first half and the Bombers went into the main break with a five-point lead. The lead changed numerous times in the third quarter as both teams upped the pressure. Tiwi kicked a goal after the siren to make it a 13-point margin at the final break. A dog had to be chased off the oval during the third quarter, true Territory style! Tiwi held the lead for most of the last quarter but the Crocs came home strong. Leroy Jetta and Will Farrer kicked two-apiece for the Crocs. While Simon Munkara and Albert Tipungwuti kicked three each for the Bombers. 

Game 2

St Mary’s 1.2 2.6 2.7 4.9 (33)
Nightcliff 2.3 4.4 8.7 10.9 (69)


St Mary’s: Anthony Wilson 2, Jaden McGrath, Ryan McMurray

Nightcliff: Troy Coates 5, Matthew Bricknell, Kyle Emery, Liam Holt-Fitz, Kayle Kossack, Harry Williams


The conditions were tricky at TIO Stadium for the match between the second placed Nightcliff and third placed St Mary’s, with the rain creating a sluggish affair. Nightcliff kicked the first two goals of the match through Troy Coates, before a late St Mary’s goal in the first quarter had the margin at seven points at quarter time. Despite the sluggish conditions, the first half was relatively free flowing, but both sides struggled to score heavily with both defences taking several intercept marks. The sun reappeared at half time and it seemed that Nightcliff were a new side after half time as they poured on the goals in the third quarter and kept St Mary’s goalless. The margin sat at 36-points at three quarter time and it was just too much for the Saints to come back from, eventually going down by the same margin. Coates was the standout player on the ground, kicking five goals.

Game 3

Darwin 2.1 4.3 6.5 8.8 (56)
Waratah 1.2 3.3 4.5 6.6 (42)


Darwin: Adam Sambono 3, Darren Shillabeer 2, Paul Campbell, Darren McGorm, Ryan O’Sullivan

Waratah: Kim Kantilla 2, Michael Newton 2, Lachlan Collihole, Brock Orval


With St Mary’s and Tiwi Bombers both losing their respective games just before the start of this one, opportunities were aplenty for both Darwin Buffaloes and Waratah. Victorian import and standout performer, Brock Orval wasted no time in getting the Tahs’ first. Sitting off the back of a couple of defenders in the goal square, he marked, turned and snapped a goal within the opening minute. It wasn’t until the 18th minute when the Buffs goaled through Adam Sambono, who pounced on a defensive spill and threw it on his left boot. And didn’t the crowd love it! With a contingent of Daly River flood evacuees invited to the game, they shrieked and cheered every time their boy Sambono got near the ball. A minute later, Buffs big man Darren Shillabeer bombed from about 60 metres out to snatch the lead heading into the first break. The teams were locked in a stalemate for the first half of the second term with both opting to play-on at a frenetic pace. Michael Newton once again proved his goal-kicking prowess for Waratah and when teammate Kim Kantilla kicked truly late in the quarter, scores were level at 21-apiece. Then up popped Sambono once more, receiving a free kick and converting the goal just before the siren rang. Things kept going the Buffs way when in the third they got out to an 18-point lead, thanks in part to the ruthless attack on the ball by co-captain Jarrod Stokes and committed Chris Williams. Kantilla was the only goal scorer for the Tahs in the third, as they went into the final quarter two goals shy of their opponent. Early in the last, Darren McGorm put the Buffs 20-points clear but by the 13th minute, another goal to Newton and the first to Lachlan Collihole had the Tahs breathing down their necks. So, on cue, enter Adam Sambono with a piece of magic; he and Tim Eldridge keeping the ball alive tight against the boundary, with Sambono somehow dribbling it through and evading defenders on the line. It was an important win for the Buffs who made it three from three against Waratah this season, and in doing so, took back the all-important third spot on the Men’s Premier League ladder.

Game 4

Palmerston 1.1 1.3 2.6 5.7 (37)
Wanderers 0.4 4.6 8.8 12.9 (81)


Palmerston: Shannon Charlie, Ralph Dhamarrandji, Matthew Filo
Wanderers: Braedon McLean 2, Thomas Motlop 2, Marcus Totham 2, Simon Bates, Sam Christie, Jonas Niki, Liam Patrick, Travis Tambling, Shane Thorne


It was a slow start for the Men’s Premier League match between Palmerston and Wanderers with only one goal scored in the first quarter through Palmerston’s Ralph Dhamarrandji. The Muk Muks stamped their authority in the second quarter, kicking four goals to none. First gamer Misha Perry showed some exciting form with a run-down tackle and followed up with a kick for the Magpies thrilling the crowd. Liam Patrick and Thomas Motlop were some of Wanderers’ best to half time, with Wanderers taking a 20-point lead heading into the main break. Wanderers extended their lead to 40-points at the final break with some controlled football. Braedon McLean took what could be mark of the year and the Magpies failed to score a major despite numerous inside 50s. It was a comprehensive win by the Muk Muks in the end, finishing with a 44-point victory.

Competition news