AFL Northern Territory (AFLNT) wishes to advise it has received an application from the Big River Hawks Football Club and the Tiwi Bombers Football Club to each field a women’s team in the 2019/20 TIO NTFL Women's Premier League season (or part thereof).
As such, AFLNT is undertaking the due diligence to assess the applications and therefore the remaining senior fixtures for the upcoming season will not be released on Friday, as previously advised.
AFLNT CEO Stuart Totham said he was encouraged by the applications and the continued growth and interest in women’s footy.
“Year on year we see greater participation and interest in our women’s competitions and teams, in 2018 female participation in club footy was up more than 11 per cent which is a testament to the growth.
“We welcome the applications from both the Big River Hawks and the Tiwi Bombers to field a team in the upcoming NTFL season and look forward to going through the process with them," he said.
“Any club wanting to enter a new team into an NTFL competition is required to provide detailed information that addresses club governance, demonstrates sound financial models and shows that they have enough players, accredited coaches and support to sustain their entry. This is regardless of whether they are looking to enter a full team or a trial team."
AFLNT is expecting to review the Big River Hawks and Tiwi Bombers submissions next week and will advise on the outcome in due course.
Due to the need to account for possible new teams, the want to align club games and the evolving nature of the fixtures, the process has been delayed slightly.
The Men’s Division 1 and Division 2 fixtures for 2019/20, along with the Under 18 Boys and Girls fixtures will be released early next week. The Women’s Premier League fixture will be released once a decision has been made on the above.