The AFL is Australia’s premier sporting organisation supporting a constantly evolving national competition which has experienced rapid growth over the past 10 years. The AFL currently has 680 permanent employees across the five state bodies: AFL Vic, NSW/ACT, QLD, NT, Tasmania, and at AFL House. The AFL organisation is responsible for growing and developing Australian Football across Australia.
The Commercial Trainee, as part of the wider Commercial Operations team, will hold a general team role with exposure to all commercial components of this multifaceted team and business. The successful applicant will gain experience in event management, conferencing and room bookings, undertaking large-scale sporting events, membership fulfilment, client servicing and game day activations.
Reports to: Events and Stadia Business Manager
Direct reports: N/A
Other key relationships:
- Commercial and Marketing Manager
- Events and Partnership Servicing Coordinator
- Stadia and Finance Manager
- Business Development and Sales Executive
- Other departments
- Function/ Events Clients
- NTFL Club administration
- Members, club supporters, wider football community
- Provide administration support to Commercial Team including data entry and up keep of partnership operating systems.
- Answering queries through the firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org email addresses;
- Assist with marketing and promotion of NT Thunder games including emails, SMS, radio ads and EDM’s;
- Assist with NT Thunder/ NTFL commercial game day execution including sponsor activities, membership, raffles, themed rounds and on-field activations;
- NT Thunder / NTFL membership –assist with marketing, sales, communications & fulfilment;
- Event set up / pack up MLLLC conferencing and events;
- Event set up pack up TIO Stadium alongside the events team for major events and game days;
- Apparel stock take and inventory;
- Commercial support at all major functions and events;
- Miscellaneous administration support as required including reception cover;
- Maintenance of commercial operations databases;
- Client servicing; and
- Other tasks as required by Commercial team.
- High level written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to work independently without supervision and also thrives in a team environment;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to build rapport with internal and external stakeholders;
- Ability to manage multiple and conflicting deadlines;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Strong sense of initiative; and
- Ability to follow direction.
- Successful completion of year 12;
- Desire to work in and ultimately manage sporting events;
- Strong time management skills;
- Ability and willingness to work out of traditional work hours and on weekends a required
- Passion / interest in AFL;
- Sound knowledge of AFLNT programs and role in the community; and
- Driver’s license and access to a vehicle
Child Safety Standards
The AFL has a commitment to ensure we provide professional, safe and enjoyable environments to children and young people who participate in our game.
The executive and management of our organisation are responsible for undertaking recruitment and ensuring that our process’s and systems are robust and thorough, as well as being communicated and understood internally. Our recruitment process is a 5-step process and includes meeting and engaging with a variety of key people from across the organisation as well as completing thorough verification checks.
As part of our comprehensive recruitment process we ensure that all safety and legislative checks such as working with children checks, Criminal background checks, employment and personal reference checks are completed to ensure anyone working for the AFL is fit for the role they are employed in, prior to commencing employment.
The AFL takes the safety of children and young people very seriously and reviews all process and procedures in line with current state and federal legislation.
Play to Win
We rise to every challenge and do what we say we will do – we own the outcome. We thrive on pushing the boundaries beyond what we have done before to achieve the extraordinary for our people, fans, partners and the community.
Respect, integrity, honesty, empathy and a great work ethic earns us the right to play.
Play with Passion
We love what we do. Passion, energy, fun and perseverance is at the heart of our sport and is what drives how we work.
Play as One Team
We work as one team because together we achieve better outcomes. We bring out the best in each other by embracing our diverse range of ideas, skills and backgrounds to achieve individual and shared success. We celebrate our wins and always have each other’s back.
Closing Date: Tuesday 21 May 2019