As an organisation, the AFL works tirelessly in all states and at all levels to enhance and grow the game – from grassroots to elite. Together, we put on the game, deliver important events, communicate with our fans, run community programs, develop coaches and umpires, and collaborate with partners, delight members, support clubs and so much more. While our roles may vary we are all united by a common goal, to progress the game so that everyone can share in its heritage and possibilities.
About The Role
One of AFL Northern Territory’s (AFLNT) key objectives is to capture and develop talented players to maximise their opportunity to play AFL & AFL Women’s (AFLW) football and to grow the Northern Territory’s presence on AFL & AFLW lists. AFLNT through its NT Thunder Academies conducts talented player development programs through its urban & regional network and at the NT level for National Championship and work closely with community football clubs and leagues to develop talent. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Manager of Talent leads the NT Thunder Academy program and is crucial in the establishment and development of the NT players pathways for both male and female participants.
A Day In The Life Of
NT Academy Program
- Design, develop and implement high level Player Development and Coaching Programs
- Create and maintain a high-performance environment at the NT Academy
- Ensure NT Talent Programs are run in in line with National Programs and to professional standard
- Plan and execute development programs for talented players
- Ensure Programs include players from all regions of the NT
Talent Identification & Management
- Manage the implementation of AFLNT’s talent identification framework that ensure all talented players and coaches are identified and provided with the appropriate levels of support
- Develop and execute the strategy to increase the number of NT players on AFL & AFLW lists
- Develop innovative strategies to enhance AFLNT talent pathway programs
- Establish a strong network of people within the football community to identify talent across the NT
- Improve access to programs and development for remote NT footballers
- Oversee “best in class” players wellbeing and support programs
- Drive and foster a culture where players and staff feel safe
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with all levels of football, particularly NTFL, CAFL Clubs Umpires and Coaches, AFNT Affiliated competitions, National Championship team coaches, Regional Managers, AFL Talent Department and AFL club personnel
- Build and maintain positive relationship with young players, parents and various stakeholders
• Develop and monitor department budget
Our Ideal Team Member
• Tertiary qualification or equivalent experience in management, coaching or relevant field
• Experience in identifying and nurturing talent within the football/sporting community
• Extensive understanding of AFL Talent Programs and Pathways
• Demonstrated ability to inspire individuals and teams
• Proven ability in managing and lead change
• Proven financial management and accountability
• Demonstrated conflict resolution skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Highly developed interpersonal, teamwork and relationship building skills
The AFL is committed to promoting and protecting the safety and wellbeing of children and young people in our care. The AFL undertakes several screening processes to ensure the appropriate protection of children in its care.
Please note, employment in this position is subject to a satisfactory criminal history record check.
We believe in a Healthy Mind, Healthy Body and Healthy Workplace and our staff have access to an extensive Health and Wellbeing program
My Development – all employees have access to the AFL’s My development program which consists of on the job training, coaching and mentoring and formal learning.
AFL Staff Footy Memberships – easy access to the game, staff can share these with family and friends
My Benefits – staff have access to over 350 discounts with some of the biggest retailers and the AFL’s Corporate Partners
Play Your Way – A flexible approach to your working life
Play to Win
We rise to every challenge and do what we say we will do – we own the outcome. We thrive on pushing the boundaries beyond what we have done before to achieve the extraordinary for our people, fans, partners and the community.
Respect, integrity, honesty, empathy and a great work ethic earns us the right to play.
Play with Passion
We love what we do. Passion, energy, fun and perseverance is at the heart of our sport and is what drives how we work.
Play as One Team
We work as one team because together we achieve better outcomes. We bring out the best in each other by embracing our diverse range of ideas, skills and backgrounds to achieve individual and shared success. We celebrate our wins and always have each other’s back.
Closing Date: 8 November 2019