AFL Northern Territory (AFLNT) is closely monitoring this weekend’s weather conditions in response to the Bureau of Meteorology’s predicted heatwave.
The safety and wellbeing of players and officials is paramount and AFLNT will enact its Extreme Weather Policy and a range of additional measures this weekend to continue delivering a safe and enjoyable environment. These measures include:
- extending all breaks across all divisions by two minutes
- shortening Men’s Division 2 and Under 18 quarters to 15 minutes
- shortening junior grade quarters to 12 minutes
- providing fans at interchange benches with power facilities
- permitting clubs to have an extra two water carriers
- providing ice vests and buckets to umpires across all three venues (TIO, Gardens Oval and Cazalys Arena)
AFLNT encourages all clubs and coaches to ensure their players and on field support staff are preparing their bodies appropriately for the weather conditions. This can be done by:
- encouraging players to drink ample water and Hydralyte prior to and during the game
- staying out of the sun and seeking shade where possible
- providing half time snacks
- eating a well balanced meal leading into the game
- providing ice buckets and individual cold towels for players
- not consuming alcohol the night before a game
AFLNT is working closely with clubs to clearly communicate and work through these changes ahead of the weekend.