AFLNT today joined with Red Cross to announce a fundraising fund on behalf of the NT football community to assist with the tragic bushfires in southern states.
AFLNT CEO Stuart Totham joined Red Cross NT Regional and Emergency Services Manager Jenny Dally today to launch a number of ways the NT footy community could assist, including a dedicated fundraising page (link here).
The initial fundraising goal has been set at $10,000, with AFLNT committing to match any funds raised up to $5000.
Totham said that Red Cross was the perfect local partner to channel funds through and the organisation has already done an incredible job in providing support to the community.
“Australians and kind-hearted people all over the world have responded to the bushfires with incredible generosity, donating more than $60 million to Red Cross Disaster Relief and Recovery so far,” Totham said.
“As the largest sport in the Territory which represents Territorians who truly understand natural disasters like cyclones, floods and fires, we thought it was important to do something at the local level. Even though we’re at the other end of the country, there are still people we all know who have been affected by these bushfires.
“We’re encouraging all of our NTFL Clubs, supporters and spectators to participate in raising these much-needed funds by jumping online or donating into the Red Cross buckets at the grounds.”
From this weekend, Red Cross fundraising buckets will be at the gates of all NTFL grounds, as well as in kiosks, canteens and bars. The key fundraising will then take place with Red Cross volunteers at the Women’s and Men’s TIO NTFL Grand Finals at TIO Stadium on 7 and 14 March 2020.
Red Cross NT Regional and Emergency Services Manager Jenny Dally thanked the NT football community for getting involved in fundraising.
“Dealing with an emergency can be stressful and exhausting and recovering from a disaster is a complex process that may take months, even years to overcome. Red Cross supports people through their recovery by being there to provide practical and emotional support and information,” she said.
“Helping people who have been affected by disasters is really important to us and we’d love your support.
“The tragic issue is that this disaster is far from over. Conditions are volatile and fast-moving and it’s estimated that fires in parts of Victoria and New South Wales will continue to burn until March 2020.”
AFLNT’s support comes off the back of the national approach by the AFL with the $2.5million donation from the AFL, the 18 Clubs and AFL/AFLW players, plus the State of Origin match on Friday 28 February.