As an organisation, the AFL works tirelessly in all states and at all levels to enhance and grow the game – from grassroots to elite. Together, we put on the game, deliver important events, communicate with our fans, run community programs, develop coaches and umpires, and collaborate with partners, delight members, support clubs and so much more. While our roles may vary we are all united by a common goal, to progress the game so that everyone can share in its heritage and possibilities.
About The Role
The Club Development Manager’s role is to progress and develop the game at community level by working closely with community leagues, clubs and umpiring groups to enhance capacity and support.
To achieve that outcome the position will work closely with AFLNTs Regional Managers (RMs)/Competition Managers (CMs), leagues, clubs and other relevant stakeholders across the NT.
The Club Development Manager in conjunction with RMs ensure leagues operate in full compliance with all AFL Northern Territory rules and regulations, policies and procedures, professional standards and accepted business practices. The position will ensure that operations and conduct within each league meets AFL Northern Territory’s standards and will monitor performance across areas such as financial reporting, staff management, development targets, strategic review scope and reviews and reporting.
The role is crucial in managing risk, building capability and expertise and enhancing the value for clubs.
A Day In The Life Of
Club Development & Training
- Support the implementation and monitoring of club strategic, business and operational plans that across management, governance, coaching, competitions and facility development
- Identify potential risks for community clubs and implement preventative actions
- Support leagues with planning future participation growth
- Work with the Coaching Manager to ensure a coordinated approach to club training & development opportunities
Planning & Development
- Identify and research key issues impacting on community football and develop appropriate responses, particularly relating to population growth areas or areas of population decline
- Drive and manage the development and execution of key community football projects or initiatives as required from time to time and as directed by the Manager of Community Football & Club Development
- Relationship Development – Stakeholder Focus
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with clubs and affiliated leagues, to influence, adopt and drive change
- Engage and maintain productive relationships with Local Councils and State Government representatives
- Manage relevant budgetary requirements
- Manage the NTFL Premier League Club Development Grants
- Explore opportunities to expand on club development grant opportunities
- Work with Regional Managers & Coaching Managers to development financial performance benchmarking templates and ensure oversight of each leagues finances to ascertain the general financial health of each league
- Work closely with clubs to ensure adequate tracking against key competition and financial KPIs
Our Ideal Team Member
- Degree Qualified in related field, (e.g. Accounting, Commerce, Business or related discipline) or experience in a similar role
- Proven experience (5 years) in strategic planning and implementation for community development activities and tasks
- Sound knowledge of the football industry and community club management
- Demonstrated personal initiative and ability to manage a team
- Highly developed verbal and written communication, interpersonal, presentation, and negotiation skills
- Familiarity with operational, financial, quality assurance and staff management procedures
- Experience working with volunteers
- Experience with managing a budget and financial acumen
The AFL is committed to promoting and protecting the safety and wellbeing of children and young people in our care. The AFL undertakes several screening processes to ensure the appropriate protection of children in its care.
Please note, employment in this position is subject to a satisfactory criminal history record check.
- We believe in a Healthy Mind, Healthy Body and Healthy Workplace and our staff have access to an extensive Health and Wellbeing program
- My Development – all employees have access to the AFL’s My development program which consists of on the job training, coaching and mentoring and formal learning.
- AFL Staff Footy Memberships – easy access to the game, staff can share these with family and friends
- My Benefits – staff have access to over 350 discounts with some of the biggest retailers and the AFL’s Corporate Partners
- Play Your Way – A flexible approach to your working life
Play to Win
We rise to every challenge and do what we say we will do – we own the outcome. We thrive on pushing the boundaries beyond what we have done before to achieve the extraordinary for our people, fans, partners and the community.
Respect, integrity, honesty, empathy and a great work ethic earns us the right to play.
Play with Passion
We love what we do. Passion, energy, fun and perseverance is at the heart of our sport and is what drives how we work.
Play as One Team
We work as one team because together we achieve better outcomes. We bring out the best in each other by embracing our diverse range of ideas, skills and backgrounds to achieve individual and shared success. We celebrate our wins and always have each other’s back.
Closing Date: 7 February 2020